Traditional methods for integrating applications include code-based developer tools, point-to-point custom coding and legacy on-premises middleware. These methods are expensive to maintain and slow to implement.
The Dell Boomi cloud integration platform as a service (iPaaS) allows your organization to integrate any combination of cloud or on-premises applications without the need for hardware, in-house software or custom-coding expertise. With an easy drag-and-drop interface, Dell Boomi helps you rapidly integrate your data and applications to improve business operations.
Let’s have a look how to integrate FTP to Salesforce.
Exercise 1: Setting up Folders
When developing a new integration project it is important to organize your Component Explorer, located in the Build Tab, by setting up folders to organize processes and components. This enables you to configure and store a unique Process containing the workflow and processing rules for your business scenario.
Create a folder within your account
This folder houses subfolders to describe and contain your training exercises.
In the Component Explorer, click on the blue drop-down arrow next to your main account folder.
- Choose New Folder.
- Enter the Name the folder Boomi Essentials.
- Click Save.
Exercise 3: Build the FTP Connection
- Add a new component to your folder.
- Name your process then click on Create button.
- In the Connector field, choose FTP from the drop-down option.This automatically uses the Action: Get.
- Click on the () icon and add new connection for FTP
Exercise 4: Create an FTP Operation
In the Start Shape connector configuration window next to Operation, click to open a new component tab.
- The FTP Operation window will appear. At the top of the screen, notice the area where you can change the Operation Name.
- After naming the operation, enter the following configuration information:
|Max Files to Read:||0|
The wildcard (*) symbol filters files containing a certain character set. We are filtering all files which have a name ending with .csv (i.e. Account-1.csv, Account-2.csv, etc.).
- At the bottom of the Process canvas, click Save and Close.
The Start shape connector now has the Account XML Get operation settings loaded in the configuration.
- Click OK.
The FTP To SFDC Integration process window shows the Start shape with the connector type (FTP),
Exercise 5: Add a Data Process
The Data Process shape provides a number of options for manipulating document data within a process, from splitting and combining documents to zipping and unzipping data
In that process, we splitting the .csv file data into line with a common header
- Choose the data process in the Execute list
- Click on the () to add Processing steps.
- Choose split Documents in the Process Type, and profile type will be Flat File because we are extracting .csv file from the FTP.
Choose Split by Line and Retain first line as Column Headers because we want each line separately with their Header.
- Click on the Ok Button and save the data process.
Exercise 6: Create a MAP in process
Use maps to convert data from one layout or format to another. On the left side of a map is a source profile and on the right side is a destination profile. You can drag and drop fields from the source profile into the destination profile in order to indicate how the data should be moved. In addition, you can add functions to data maps, which allow complex conversion logic to be applied to the data as it is moved from source to destination.
- Choose the Map Icon in the Execute list.
- Create a Map by drag and drop field To Flat file profile to XML profile.
- Click in save and close to save map.
Exercise 7: Create a Salesforce Connection.
Connectors get data into and send data out of processes. They enable communication with the applications or data sources between which data needs to move or in other words, the “end points” of the process. Those applications and data sources can range from traditional on-premise applications like SAP and QuickBooks, to web-based applications like Salesforce.com and NetSuite, to data repositories like an FTP directory, a commercial database or even an email server.
- Choose Connector for Salesforce.
- Two main functionality exist in any connector.
The following image is an example of a configured Salesforce connection.
The following image is an example of a configured Salesforce operation.
Exercise 8: Test The process
1.Click on the test button on the right corner of Boomi Screen.
2.Choose the test Atom Cloud then click run test button to run your process.
Your process will successfully run.